Chiropractic Help for CrossFit Injuries
CrossFit is an increasingly popular fitness workout that continues to grow by the day. Living in San Diego, the active lifestyle we're accustomed to translates well into this. If you’re one of Crossfit’s devotees, then there are a few things you need to be aware of in order to stay healthy. At LiveSmart Chiropractic & Rehabilitation, we see a lot of injuries associated with these exercise routines and injuries you need to be aware of. Here are some of the most common and how you can avoid them.
The Most Common Crossfit Injuries
The most commonly treated Crossfit injuries are:
- Lower back injuries – It only takes one wrong move, poor form, or heavy weight to cause an injury in the lower back. From muscle strains to more complex and serious intervertebral disc injuries, the best way to avoid this type of injury during CrossFit is to make sure you’re practicing the best form and that your body allows for that. Many factors play into this, but one we see most often is the lack of thoracic (midback) mobility. By seeing us, we help keep your spine moving well in the areas it needs to and we give you exercises to help throughout the day, including your workouts.
- Neck injuries - Neck pain is one of the most common injuries we see and treat from CrossFit workouts. Often, it is from fatigue and overuse that leads to a strain in the muscle near or in the neck. Always be careful, however, when dealing with neck injuries. More severe complications can arise from the spine. If you ever feel numbness, tingling, or radiating pain down your shoulder and arms, get your spine evaluated immediately. Many overhead exercises in CrossFit can potentially cause injury to the discs between the vertebrae and it's important to begin rehab immediately if indicated.
- Knee injuries – Your knees perform a variety of functions and they’re placed under a lot of stress during Crossfit exercises. Heavy weights combined with the need to practice good form to keep the rest of your body healthy can actually be really tough on the knees. Often times, many dysfunctions come from the hip and if not properly addressed, result in knee pain, ankle pain, and ultimately, back pain. Make sure you have even the slightest of injuries looked at by a good chiropractor to keep these joints healthy and prevent future injury.
- Shoulder injuries – In Crossfit, rotator cuff injuries are very common. This can lead to injuries called shoulder impingement, labral tear, tendonitis, ligament sprains, and muscle strains amongst others. if you have any popping, clicking or feeling like something is "catching" when you try to raise your arm over your head, get it checked out. Don’t try to simply work through a shoulder problem. Be proactive and get it checked out. The investment short term, will yield long-term benefits and results.
- Wrist injuries– From rowing and pull-ups to burpees and snatches, CrossFit puts the wrists through the extreme stress. These joints must retain mobility and flexibility, but strength as well in order to keep injury away. Pain often translates from the elbow or muscles of the forearm so get your wrist checked out if you suspect any injury.
- Elbow injuries – A common occurrence in Crossfit is a pain in the elbows when lifting. This can be due to improper form or simply over-use. Get elbow pain checked out as soon as you can to avoid any serious complications.
This is by no means a comprehensive list, but some of the most common injuries we see and treat successfully in our office. Your best resource in preventing injuries related to Crossfit is your chiropractor! It might be tempting to work through the pain, but you may be doing more damage to your body. Let us know if we can help you stay active and keep your body healthy and working out at its best!